[Haskell-cafe] ANN: random-fu 0.1.0.0

mokus at deepbondi.net mokus at deepbondi.net
Thu Jun 3 09:34:56 EDT 2010

Announcing the 0.1.0.0 release of the "random-fu" library for random
number generation[1].   This release hopefully stabilizes the core
interfaces (those exported from the base module "Data.Random").

Warning to anyone upgrading from earlier releases: 'Discrete' has been
renamed 'Categorical', the entropy source classes have been redesigned,
and many things are no longer exported from the root module "Data.Random"
(In particular, DevRandom - this is not available on windows, so it will
likely move to its own package eventually so that client code dependencies
on it will be made explicit).

Unfortunately, Hackage appears to have choked on some of the package's
dependencies (specifically, 2 dependencies also depend on time, and were
built using different versions)  so its documentation (which I put quite a
bit of work into) is not displayed on the Hackage site.  In the past I
have dealt with that by uploading new versions with hacks to make sure the
thing builds, but I really would rather not continue to do so.  Is there
any procedure by which I can request a manual rebuild of the package so
that its documentation will be generated and displayed?

Incidentally, this is a recurring problem I have run into several times
for several packages.  Can we *please* come up with a way for sdist or
similar to just include pre-built documentation?  Or if I were to spend
some time working on such a thing, would it be accepted (assuming it was
done up to all applicable standards of quality)?

For now, I have added some pre-built haddock docs to the repository so
that they may be browsed online[2] (if code.haskell.org ever starts
responding to my HTTP requests.  It's just not my day today, I guess).

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/random-fu-0.1.0.0
[2] http://code.haskell.org/~mokus/random-fu/doc/haddock/index.html