[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: Difference between div and /

mokus at deepbondi.net mokus at deepbondi.net
Thu Jun 3 09:48:04 EDT 2010

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>
>> Hmm. Thanks - however I fail to figure out how to do something like:
>>
>> "generate a random number with normal distribution with average avg and
>> standard deviation stdev".
>
> Unfortunately the package is restricted to discrete distributions so far.

Shameless self-advertisement: The random-fu package (whimsically named,
sorry) implements a modest variety of continuous distributions with what I
believe to be a user-friendly and flexible interface.

This thread inspired me to finish up and upload the 0.1 release (just
announced on haskell-cafe as well).  The public interface is slightly
different from earlier releases and the haddock docs for the new one
failed to build on hackage, but earlier versions have essentially the same
end-user interface aside from some changes in the module export lists so
if you'd like to get an idea of the basic spirit of the system you can
browse the docs for the earlier releases.  Alternatively, feel free to
browse the source and steal some of the implementations (many of which
were, in turn, translated from other sources such as wikipedia or the
Numerical Recipes book).

Unfortunately, the old documentation is much sparser and terser than the
new documentation that failed to build, but if nothing else you can
download and build the docs yourself for the new one.