[Haskell-cafe] Re: Problems with Haskell Platform

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 4 22:17:58 EDT 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 06:54 , Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> writes:
>> However, we have tools for some distros that do this, and some distro
>> tools support it directly (e.g. "bauerbill --hackage" on Arch Linux
>> knows how to ask cabal2arch to translate the .cabal file).
>>
>> Contribut to yum to allow pulling from hackage, by calling cabal2yum?
>
> I don't know how it is in Arch, but for Gentoo we need to do a lot of
> QA'ing to make sure our ebuilds generated with hackport work properly
> (which is one reason why we don't churn ebuilds out as fast as you
> generate PKBUILDs).  Part of the problem is probably that hackport
> isn't
> as polished as cabal2arch, but a few other concerns we need to take
> care
> of are:

I don't think anyone just does a conversion and bodges it into the
package system, regardless of distribution, package system, or
conversion tool.  (Or language; you don't do it with gems, eggs, or
CPAN packages either.)  The tool does the boring part of the job for
you, but of course you want to edit metadata, test, etc. before
setting it loose.  Release engineering is not optional.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu