[Haskell-cafe] Issue with "connectTo" function in "network" package

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:52:08 EDT 2010

Here's my GHCI session (with my network card off):
Prelude Network Network.Socket> connectTo "localhost" (PortNumber 3000)
*** Exception: connect: does not exist (Connection refused)
Prelude Network Network.Socket> connectTo "127.0.0.1" (PortNumber 3000)
{handle: <socket: 7>}

The OS is Ubuntu (Lucid) Linux. The contents of "/etc/hosts" and
"/etc/nsswitch.conf" are:

> cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

> cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       deech-mac-ubuntu

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters