[Haskell-cafe] HP/Cygwin and Curl

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Tue Jun 8 03:06:04 EDT 2010

Thanks very much: I didn't know about this resource.

I do appreciate all of the hard work everyone has put in and I want to
contribute myself, especially in 2011 (I am fully committed until then). For
the moment the best contribution I can make is to report the problems I am
having.

The above wiki page is (of course) too vague about how Cygwin and MSYS can
be used. Cygwin is a much better supported product and a much easier way of
getting hold of many Unixy things (like X11). AFAIK MSYS doesn't have a
proper installer at the moment.

It would be nice to know how Cygwin can be used with HP. If the answer is
not at all (for serious work) then can we say this very prominently on HP
Windows page. How about linking the HP-Windows page to the Wiki article on
Haskell for Windows?

A FAQ for HP would also surely be useful.

If others agree these would be useful and they haven't been when I will pick
them up, but first, are these a good idea?

My feeling is that the ramp onto Haskell is far steeper than it needs to be
considering the fundamental excellence of the parts.

Chris