[Haskell-cafe] Re: package naming policy

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 07:36:52 EDT 2010

Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> writes:

> Closely related is the question of module
> names. 'transformers'+'monads-fd' are somehow an successor of 'mtl'
> and chose distinct package names, but there were module name
> clashes. They mostly hurted GHCi users, but this led to a lot of
> confusion, too.
>
> So the question is, if FGL gets a new name, should it also use
> different module names?

This has been brought up already.

My intention is, before we release it publically/visibly, we get in
contact with all package maintainers of hackage packages that use FGL
and help them migrate to the new version so we can do a mass
migrate/upgrade so that there would be no reason for users to have the
old version of FGL installed (unless there's a system package vs
cabal-install package clash, but there's not much we can do about
that).

The unfortunate aspect of this IMHO is that the FGL package name doesn't
match the module names; if it was the consensus of the community that we
change the package name of FGL one option I was thinking of was
something along the lines of "inductive-graphs", but the obvious choice
of module names for that would be Data.Graph.Inductive, which FGL has
already taken.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com