[Haskell-cafe] learning advanced haskell

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 04:39:14 EDT 2010

Aran Donohue <aran.donohue at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been doing Haskell for a few months, and I've written some mid-sized
> programs and many small ones. I've read lots of documentation and many
> papers, but I'm having difficulty making the jump into some of the advanced
> concepts I've read about.
>
> How do people build intuitions for things like RankNTypes and arrows?

By being told that using them would solve some problem you're
complaining about on #haskell or the mailing lists, you look at
examples, read up on them, etc.

Short version: don't worry about advanced concepts until you have to.
If all else fails, it doesn't hurt to write out the low-level version
yourself and then get told in a code review that it would be "easier" or
more elegant with an advanced technique.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com