[Haskell-cafe] Vague: Assembly line process

Martin Drautzburg Martin.Drautzburg at web.de
Tue Jun 15 13:23:35 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, 15. June 2010 01:40:03 Luke Palmer wrote:
> So hang on, what is the problem?  You have described something like a
> vague model, but what information are you trying to get?  Say,
> perhaps, a set of possible output lists from a given input list?

When I know my supplies I want to know what I can produce. When I know what I
want to produce I want to know what supplies I need for that. Both kinds of
questions should be answered by a singe Process thingy.

I want to be able to chain processes and the whole thing should still act like
a Process.

> Luke
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Martin Drautzburg
>
> <Martin.Drautzburg at web.de> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > this is a problem which has haunted me for some time. If this is simply
> > hillarious, please tell me so. Or it may be some well known unsolvable
> > problem...
> >
> > An assembly process takes inputs and produces outputs. I could say a
> > Process is a function
> >
> > canProduce :: [Input]->[Output]->Bool
> >
> > which tells me if the outputs can be produced from the inputs
> >
> > There may be a similar function which tells me if the inputs are
> > completely consumed to procude the output.
> >
> > The inputs do not determine the exact outputs. Think of a Process which
> > combines a List of Ints into pairs, such that the input ints are consumed
> > and each input Int occurs in only one position in the output. There are
> > many ways to do this. Still for any set of input Ints and output pairs I
> > could decide if the output can be produced from the input.
> >
> > Likewise the Input is not determined by the output. There may be lots of
> > choices from what I could build my output (buy from different vendors).
> >
> > When I know more about the inputs and outputs my choices get more and
> > more limited. I would like to to pass inputs and/or outputs to
> > "something" and I would like to get a "something" which is more
> > restricted, but still essentially a thing which tells me if the outputs
> > can be produced from the inputs.
> >
> > I just cannot find a way to even THINK about this problem in a reasonable
> > general way.
> >
> > --
> > Martin

Martin