[Haskell-cafe] Control.Alternative --- some and many?

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at phys.washington.edu
Tue Jun 22 23:22:04 EDT 2010

Hey everyone,

Could someone explain to me (or point me to a reference explaining) the
purpose of the "some" and "many" methods of the Alternative class?

Also, there is a link posted in the documentation for
Control.Applicative to a paper which describes the motivation behind the
Applicative class;  is there similarly a paper explaining the motivation
behind the Alternative class?  (The problem with Googling for
"Alternative" is that this word is used a whole lot of the time, and
very rarely does it refer to the Alernative class.  :-) )

Cheers,
Greg