[Haskell-cafe] Real-time garbage collection for Haskell

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 1 09:53:08 EST 2010

On 28 February 2010 05:20, Luke Palmer <lrpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have seen some proposals around here for SoC projects and other
> things to try to improve the latency of GHC's garbage collector.  I'm
> currently developing a game in Haskell, and even 100ms pauses are
> unacceptable for a real-time game.  I'm calling out to people who have
> seen or made such proposals, because I would be willing to contribute
> funding and/or mentor a project that would contribute to this goal.
> Also any ideas for reducing this latency in other ways would be very
> appreciated.

There is a SoC project suggestion to implement Immix's ideas [1] in
GHC's GC.  Both already use similar overall designs.  Both split the
heap into regions which may employ different collection strategies.
However, Immix does not address real-time issues.

The main difficulty with real-time GC is that, while first-generation
collection is usually very fast, eventually you just have to collect
the old generation and you have to do it all at once.  Sun's new
Garbage-First ("G1") [2] collector therefore tracks pointers between
regions, as opposed to just pointers from older two newer generations.
 This allows collecting regions independently (and in parallel).  G1
is still stop-the-world, although marking phase is concurrent.
Tracking pointers between all regions can result in quite substantial
space overheads, however, so G1 uses some heuristics to discover
"popular objects" and treats them specially.  In a personal
conversation Simon Marlow expressed to me that he intends to go
further into this direction, but I don't know how high-priority it is.
 In general I don't think true real-time is the goal in any case, but
rather a general effort to keep GC-pauses short.

Truly concurrent garbage collection is a whole different beast.
Concurrent marking can be implemented efficiently with a write
barrier.  I don't know of any fully concurrent GC scheme that gets by
without a read barrier and significant space overhead, however.  There
are certainly no plans from the GC HQ to implement a fully concurrent
GC.

[1]: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/speedway/DaCapo/papers/immix-pldi-2008.pdf
[2]: http://research.sun.com/jtech/pubs/04-g1-paper-ismm.pdf

--