[Haskell-cafe] Re: Real-time garbage collection for Haskell

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 08:50:31 EST 2010

On 01/03/2010 00:04, Luke Palmer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Pavel Perikov<perikov at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Did you really seen 100ms pauses?! I never did extensive research on this but my numbers are rather in microseconds range (below 1ms). What causes such a long garbage collection? Lots of allocated and long-living objects?
>
> This is all hypothetical right now.  I heard some horror stories in
> which people had to switch to the main game loop in C++ and only do
> the AI logic in Haskell because of pauses.  I would rather not do
> that, especially because this project is *about* proving Haskell as a
> viable game development platform.  So I am trying to be prepared if I
> do see something like that, so that it doesn't put the show on hold
> for a few months.
>
> Presumably large, long-living objects would cause the generation 0
> collections to take a long time.  I am not sure if we will have any
> said objects, but we can't rule it out...
>
> Thanks for the positive reassurances, at least.  I'd like to hear from
> people with the opposite experience, if there are any.

By default GHC uses a generational GC with a 512KB nursery size, which
means that most GC pauses will be very short but just occasionally you
have to do a major GC and there's no upper bound on the pause time for
that collection, because the whole live heap is traversed.  The pause
time for a major collection is proportional to the amount of live data,
so the people who are experiencing very short pauses probably have
little live data and/or have allocation patterns that means the old
generation is collected very infrequently.

Monolithic major GC is a big stinking scalability problem, and the only
solutions are to do concurrent GC, incremental GC, or region-based GC.

Both concurrent GC and incremental GC tend to add overheads to the
mutator, because they need a read barrier.  There was an incremental GC
for GHC once [1], taking advantage of the built-in read barrier that we
have whereby most closures are "entered", and it more-or-less worked but
was quite complicated and had some code-size overhead.  Nowadays part of
this built-in read barrier has been eroded by pointer tagging, which
makes things a bit more tricky.

Region-based GC is a generalisation of generational GC, where you divide
the heap into regions and track all pointers between regions, so a given
collection can collect any subset of the regions.  This basic idea is
quite popular amongst the Java people these days, Thomas mentioned the
G1 collector which does this and uses a concurrent mark phase to
identify which regions to collect.  Regardless of how you figure out
which regions to collect, the basic idea of breaking up the old
generation like this is a good way to reduce pause times.

At the moment I'm focussed on something different: making individual
processors able to collect their own heaps independently, so removing
the stop-the-world requirement from minor GCs.  This should help
parallel throughput a lot, but won't fix the major GC pause times.  I am
slightly worried that the GC can't bear the extra complexity of adding
both processor-independent GC *and* region-based GC or some other
pause-time-reducing technique. But we'll see.  I'll happily
supervise/mentor anyone who wants to tackle this.

Cheers,
	Simon

[1]
http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/360000/351265/p257-cheadle.pdf?key1=351265&key2=8540457621&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE&CFID=80115628&CFTOKEN=59704548