[Haskell-cafe] Real-time garbage collection for Haskell

Neil Davies semanticphilosopher at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 3 03:50:48 EST 2010

Sorry, no.

We wanted a basic bound on the jitter - the application is not one
that creates much (if any) long lived heap.

Having just seen Simon's email on the fact that performGC forces a
major GC - i think that there is some
new mileage here with making the speculative GC's minor ones.

More control needs some more instrumentation of how much mutation is
occurring and ways of estimating
how much of that is short and long lived - I know that past history is
not necessarily a good indicator
of future actions - but visibility of the counters that being kept
would help.

Neil