[Haskell-cafe] Re: GPL answers from the SFLC

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Mar 4 19:07:31 EST 2010

> The thing is that the new X' library can provide the same API while
> not being very useful (bug, performance, whatever).  And in this case,
> it is trivial to make that new X'.  So I don't understand why the
> answer was no in the first place.

The law is not a set of mathematical rules.  It all needs to be
interpreted, compared to the underlying intentions etc...
So while you can say that it's pointless if you push the idea to its
limit, that doesn't mean that it's meaningless in the context of
the law.
All it might mean is that in some cases, the interpretation is
not clear.  It's those cqases where a court needs to decide which
interpretation should be favored.

        Stefan