[Haskell-cafe] How to obtain unique integers

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 07:14:37 EST 2010

I'm implementing a variant of Prolog in Haskell (yes, I know others
already exist...) and am looking to solve the following issues:

(1) I need to translate anonymous variables "_" into unique variable
names.  Data.Unique does not give me a printable identifier. Is there
another package that does this?

(2) Is there a cabal package similar to the Atom.hs module form ginsu,
that associates strings with unique hashes?

The alternative of course is to maintain state variables and pass them
along to display and parsing functions, but that makes it difficult to
make the terms instances of Read/Show without reference to a global
variable anyhow.

Thanks,
Rob