[Haskell-cafe] GPL answers from the SFLC (WAS: Re: ANN: hakyll-0.1)

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 07:16:53 EST 2010

> > The GPL specifically (and only) applies when code is "distributed"
> to others outside the originating authors' organisation.
>

> I'm pretty sure it says nothing about organizations.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution

Is making and using multiple copies within one organization or company
“distribution”?
No, in that case the organization is just making the copies for
itself. As a consequence, a company or other organization can develop
a modified version and install that version through its own
facilities, without giving the staff permission to release that
modified version to outsiders.

However, when the organization transfers copies to other organizations
or individuals, that is distribution. In particular, providing copies
to contractors for use off-site is distribution.

Regards,
     Malcolm