[Haskell-cafe] vector stream fusion, inlining and compilation time

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Tue Mar 9 17:29:10 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:

> I think Jake is referring to my vector-space package.  He did the work of
> writing 171 INLINE pragmas, covering lots of methods and standalone function
> defs.  I'm simultaneously grateful for the effort and repelled by the added
> syntactic noise.  Also concerned about the impact of all these directives on
> other uses of vector-space.  If all this inlining is a uniform win, I'd
> rather ghc did it for me.

Alas, it very much is not easy to predict. The unfortunate thing about
inline directives is that each individual one really can have a substantial,
but not necessarily predictable, effect on the performance of an
application. I have seen large improvements in performance, large drops in
performance, nothing at all, and everything in between, and I have yet to
develop a consistently successful intuition about what will work well, and
when.