[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code 2010.

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 12:15:08 EST 2010

It is that time of year again; the Google Summer of Code is upon us!

*Sign Up Information*

If you are a student and want to sign up to make $4,500 for hacking on the
code you love over the summer or are willing to help out as a mentor, now is
the time to act. Please sign up by adding your name to the list at:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/wiki/People2010

I have extracted an initial list of interested mentors from Malcolm's
earlier inquiry to the cafe and have submitted our initial application to
Google. A strong list of potential mentors and students will help bolster
our case.

Our main wiki entry for the Summer of Code 2010 is now online:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/wiki/Soc2010

If you are interested in applying as a student, here are some guidelines:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/wiki/StudApply2010

The official deadline for student applications with Google is April 7th, but
if you are interested please add your name to the People2010 page above, as
soon as possible.

*Interested in helping out, but not sure how?
*
There are a number of ideas that we've been collecting for projects
available through the trac

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/report/1

and which have been collecting over time in a reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell_proposals/top/

While the reddit is a great place to discuss proposals,  we had to choose
one mechanism to supply Google with our ideas officially, so please submit
proposals <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/newticket> to the
trac if you can think of something you like to work on, or which would be an
appropriately beneficial project for a summer worth of work.

*Helping Out Darcs *

Haskell.org is going to continue to act as an umbrella organization covering
darcs <http://darcs.net/> for the Summer of Code once more. If you are
interested in helping them out, they also have a page full of project ideas
as well:

http://wiki.darcs.net/GoogleSummerOfCode

Again, please submit
proposals<http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/newticket>as
tickets to the trac if you can think of something you'd like to work
on.

*More Information*

Here are a bunch of relevant links that may be able to answer your
questions:

Google's Summer of Code Homepage <http://socghop.appspot.com/>
Google's Summer of Code 2010
FAQ<http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs>
Google's Summer of Code 2010
Timeline<http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/timeline>
Google's Summer of Code Wiki Knowledge
Base<http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/WikiStart>

Of course, you can always feel free to email me <ekmett at gmail.com> or
inquire on irc.freenode.net #haskell-soc or with the darcs folks over on
#darcs for more information. If you don't have an IRC client, you can get
there from: http://webchat.freenode.net

Thank you all very much and we look forward to another successful Summer of
Code!

-Edward Kmett