[Haskell-cafe] difficulty getting cabal and macports to play nice

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 16:56:54 EDT 2010

so the solution turns out to be (for those who are macports users) to build
of the macports stuff related gtk2 et al as the variants +universal  (sadly
parts of +quartz and +no_x11 seems to be slightly broken), to make sure that
macports also has built gtksourceview2 (somehow trying to use gtksourceview
would break things) and also follow the directions in
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Gtk2Hs#Using_MacPorts_and_Snow_Leopard
 which
help a bit despite being complicated... (oh and the macports directory
mentioned in that link it should be /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf
rather than /opt/local/macports/variants.conf)

so that

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Carter Schonwald <
carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:

> hrm... I'm encountering a whole slew of problems getting gtk2hs to build
> now, might be snow leopard related
>
> glib/System/Glib.hs:13:0:
>     Failed to load interface for `System.Glib.UTFString':
>       Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
> make: *** [glib/System/Glib.o] Error 1
>
> is the relevant message at the end. I think i'm going to call it a night
>
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <
> allbery at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 14, 2010, at 01:53 , Carter Schonwald wrote:
>>
>> sudo cabal install --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib
>> --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include hieroglyph chart
>> Resolving dependencies...
>> cabal: cannot configure Hieroglyph-3.89. It requires cairo -any, glib
>> -any,
>> gtk >=0.10.0 and gtkglext -any
>> There is no available version of cairo that satisfies -any
>> There is no available version of glib that satisfies -any
>> There is no available version of gtk that satisfies >=0.10.0
>> There is no available version of gtkglext that satisfies -any
>>

>> Those are not MacPorts libraries, but Haskell libraries.  And they're all
>> provided by the Haskell gtk2hs package, which at the moment isn't
>> Cabal-ized, so Cabal can't find them unless gtk2hs has been installed
>> manually.
>>
>>  --
>>
>> electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university    KF8NH

with my original install info being

 cabal-install version 0.6.4