[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Australian Hackathon

Alex Mason axman6 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 07:45:29 EDT 2010

>> * A plotting library using Ben's newly released Gloss library (for
>> people who can't or won't install Gtk2Hs to get Chart working; Alex
>> Mason is interested in this)
>> * Various graph-related project (graphviz, generic graph class, etc.;
>> this assumes someone else apart from me cares about this stuff)
>> * Hubris if Mark Wotton comes along
>> * LLVM if David Terei comes
>
> I'd suggest focusing on core Haskell infrastructure, like compilers and tools, rather than individual libraries -- though it all depends on who wants to come along.

I'm not interested too much in organising what we will get done until people get there. We'll spend an hour or two discussing which projects people would like to work on, and then probably split off into groups of like minded people.

The projects mentioned above are just ones that Ivan and I could think of, to give others ideas of the sorts of things they could work on. If people have new projects they want to start and have input from others on design and coding, then that's fine by me. If they want to hack GHC and make it twice as fast, then they're more than encouraged to do so!

Basically, we're just aiming to get a bunch of like minded people together, who want to hack on projects with some other people, possibly with the authors of the projects (for example, I might want help to work on the Accelerate library that Manuel, Gabriele and Sean have been working on, and being able to talk to them directly to find out how the code is all laid out and organised would be much much easier than trying to do the same thing over IRC for example.)

>> So, at least as an initial listing, we'd need to have a listing of:
>> 1) Who's interested
>> 2) What dates are good
>> 3) What projects people want to work on
>> 4) Where we can host this
>
> You'll also want to consider how a proposed OzHaskell might align and/or combine with other events such as SAPLING[1] and fp-syd[2]. There is also the ICFP programming contest in a few months that many people will be interested in...

The more people we can get in touch with, the better, we'd like to hear from all these groups, if for no better reason than to get the word out that such a thing might be happening... maybe, and to help gauge interest. The more people that know, the more pressure we can bring upon ourselves to get something organised.

I was planning on forwarding this onto the FP-Syd list, but maybe I could ask you to do that Ben? These mailing list things are before my time, and I wouldn't have a clue what to do -_-

> Hosting is not a problem. If people want to come to Sydney then I'm sure we can organise a room at UNSW.

We were kind of hoping that you or Manuel would say something like that ;)

Not sure what more to say, other than if you're in Australia, and like Haskell, we'd really _really_ love to meet you.

Cheers,
-- Alex Mason