[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tupleinstances-0.0.1

Diego Echeverri diegoeche at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:20:03 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Henning Thielemann
<thunderbird at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> newtype T3 a = T3 (a,a,a)
>
> which could well be
>
> data T3 a = T3 a a a

I chose that specific representation just because at the end I want to use
normal tuples. I thought this way was easier for "boxing" an "unboxing"

> Are these types used for vector computations or what application do you have
> in mind?

I didn't have any specific application for the library. One day I
just wanted to do an fmap with a tuple and somebody in #haskell
suggested

join (***)

Of course this only works for binary tuples. I thought this would
be a good excuse to play with template-haskell and give instances
to some of the type classes I learnt about in the Typeclassopedia.

I found it useful for vector computations. But aggregating with
the Foldable instance is also handy.

> Then again, is tuple-instance still an appropriate name?

"There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation
 and naming things"
- Phil Karlton

I'm open to suggestions :-)

Diego Echeverri