[Haskell-cafe] compiler management for Haskell a la RVM?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 16 21:25:35 EDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 20:59 , Mark Wotton wrote:
> Do we have any similar system for ghc/cabal? I quite frequently find
> myself switching between 6.10 and 6.12 for various things, and it's
> always a bit painful to get your environment up to speed. Is there a
> golden road for this stuff, or do the compiler hackers here just
> munge the PATH?

Both the system and user package databases handle multiple compiler
versions, and Cabal inherits this so should do the right thing for the
most part.

The GHC environment I've assembled for campus machines installs
versioned commands (including adding versions to the commands that
lack them), then a script uses the machine configuration db to install
symlinks for the default version.  This is slightly less convenient
than using $PATH, and I may alter it to allow PATH munging and then
use something like http://modules.sf.net/ to make it easier for
users.  (I have been reworking our Perl setup to allow for this, and
would like to do the same for Python, Ruby, and some of the commercial
packages for which we provide multiple versions.)

Admittedly this still requires manually installing libraries in all
available compiler versions.  I'm not aware of any automated way to
deal with this, but then I'm not aware of one for Perl or Python
either (both of which we handle similarly to GHC).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu