[Haskell-cafe] Syntax programming with lexemes rather than trees?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 11:18:12 EDT 2010

> I'm working in a domain (music typesetting) where modelling syntax
> with trees can be problematic and I'm wondering whether I should
> work at a lower level - essentially a list / stream of lexemes and
> some notion of a context stack for processing, tracking when I'm
> inside a tuplet and the metrical calculation is scaled, for example.

It sounds like your domain is generation of syntax, rather than
parsing.  It also sounds rather similar to the difference between the
high-level language accepted by a compiler (represented by an AST) and
the target language produced by a compiler (generally a flat list of
almost-atomic instructions and labels).  So maybe techniques for
dealing with low-level assembly-like languages would be worth
investigating.

Regards,
     Malcolm