[Haskell-cafe] Bytestrings and [Char]

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 04:39:37 EDT 2010

Hi Alberto,

To some extent this already exists, it's just that nobody uses it.  I
believe it's the approach taken by the Edison libraries.  Also the
ListLike package provides the type classes ListLike, StringLike, and a
few others.  Neither seems to have become very popular despite having
well-respected authors (Okasaki and Goerzon, respectively).

Some container functions are already provided by other classes, namely
Foldable, Traversable, and Monoid.

The first bit, creating a tree of type classes suitable for all
containers, is probably a few hours work.

An automated system to determine the best implementation is
significantly more difficult; I can't say if the scope would be
appropriate for SoC.

Best,
John