[Haskell-cafe] Re: Are there any female Haskellers?

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 28 10:15:02 EDT 2010

2010/3/28 Günther Schmidt <gue.schmidt at web.de>

> Dear Philippa,
>
> "display themselves on demand" is putting it rather harshly don't you
> think?

In the context of an existing, lengthy discussion that displays the
ignorance of some of its participants, no.  I could easily see reading the
discussion thus far and deciding to take the path of least resistance and
keep quiet.

It's worth noting the following study, which received quite a bit of media
attention:
  http://www.pnas.org/content/106/22/8801.abstract
This argues that gender differences in math performance vary among cultures,
and that differences in math performance are thus more likely cultural
rather than genetic.  Discussions of the study often mention that fact that
previous work citing evidence for innateness of ability tended to focus on
participants with a shared cultural background.

A relatively recent article in CACM made much the same point for CS;
particularly noteworthy to me is the rather different proportion of
undergrad CS majors in different countries (the US is particularly low):
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1461928.1461947&coll=portal&dl=ACM&idx=J79&part=magazine&WantType=Magazines&title=Communications

-Jan-Willem Maessen