[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Tue Mar 30 10:40:54 EDT 2010

Hi Jason and other,

thanks for the suggestions, the Debian Haskell Team is eager to learn
why people do or don’t use the packaged libraries.

Am Dienstag, den 30.03.2010, 14:01 +1100 schrieb Ivan Miljenovic:
> On 30 March 2010 13:55, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
> > [..] now trying to profile something, oh wait, some problem again.
>
> Agreed, if Debian didn't include the profiling libraries with GHC
> (though is this due to how Debian does packages?).

The profiling data is put in -prof packages, i.e. ghc-prof,
libghc6-network-prof etc. Indeed, there is no easy way to tell the
package system: Whenever I install a Haskell -dev package, please
install the -prof package as well.

It has been proposed to just drop the -prof packages and include it in
the -dev package, as disk space is cheap. But ghc6-prof does weigh
254M, and not everybody who wants to modify his xmonad config wants to
install that.

> Unless it still doesn't provide profiling libraries, the extralibs
> problem is no more.  There is, however, the Haskell Platform (which
> Debian seems to have almost had complete support for until the new one
> came out; now they've got to start again... >_> ).

No big deal this time, only minor version bumps and then rebuilding all
depending libraries. Maybe we will do this with ghc6-6.12.2, maybe
before.

Greetings,
Joachim

--