[Haskell-cafe] More Language.C work for Google's Summer of Code

Aaron Tomb atomb at galois.com
Tue Mar 30 17:14:59 EDT 2010

That's very good to hear!

When it comes to preprocessing and exact printing, I think that there
are various stages of completeness that we could support.

   1) Add support for parsing comments to the Language.C parser. Keep
using an external pre-processor but tell it to leave comments in the
source code. The cpphs pre-processor can do this. The trickiest bit
here would have to do with where to record the comments in the AST.
What AST node is a given comment associate with? We could probably
come up with some general rules, and perhaps certain comments, in
weird locations, would still be ignored.

   2) Support correct column numbers for source locations. This falls
short of complete macro support, but covers one of the key problems
that macros introduce. The mcpp preprocessor [1] has a special
diagnostic mode where it adds special comments describing the origin
of code that resulted from macro expansion. If the parser retained
comments, we could use this information to help with exact pretty-
printing.

   3) Modify the pretty-printer to take position information into
account when pretty-printing (at least optionally). As long as macro
definitions themselves (as well as #ifdef, etc.) are not in the AST,
the output will still not be exactly the same as the input, but it'll
come closer.

   4) Add full support for parsing and expanding macros internally, so
that both macro definitions and expansions appear in the Language.C
AST. This is probably a huge project, partly because macros do not
have to obey the tree structure of the C language in any way. This is
perhaps beyond the scope of a summer project, but the other steps
could help prepare for it in the future, and still fully address some
of the problems caused by the preprocessor along the way.

Do you think you'd be interested in some subset or variation of 1, 2,
and 3? Are there other ideas you have? Things I've missed? Things
you'd do differently?

Thanks,
Aaron

[1] http://mcpp.sourceforge.net/