[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and scripting

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Tue May 4 03:15:03 EDT 2010

2010/5/4 Limestraël <limestrael at gmail.com>:

> Minh, Kyle, Gwern, the dyre approach seems to be very interesting too.
> But if I understood well, we also have to recompile at run-time the
> configuration haskell script?
> So the final application (Yi, for instance) will need GHC to be installed to
> run? Or did I miss something?
> By the way, I had never heard of Yi, but can I deduce from its name its a
> Vi(m)-like (which I am a big fan of)? Moreover, the idea of scripting my
> editor in Haskell appeals me.

Yes GHC is needed. But if your goal is to produce something with the
benefits of a complete language for configuration, I think it's fine.
Numerous games include for instance a complete Lua interpreter,
SketchUp includes a ruby interpreter (or maybe it is python), Blender
uses python, Common Lisp programs can use Common Lisp, and so on.

A complete language needs a complete implementation.

If you want to make your own (non-embedded) DSL, you will either
provide less than a "complete" language or have to implement a lot of
stuff.

Cheers,
Thu