[Haskell-cafe] Re: Interest in a Mathematics & AI strike force ?

Neal Alexander relapse.dev at gmx.com
Wed May 5 12:10:01 EDT 2010

Alp Mestanogullari wrote:
> Hello -cafe,
>
> When I started learning Haskell, I saw the AI page [1] which aimed at
> creating a sound, uniform and handy framework for AI programming in
> Haskell. I added my name on it and thought a bit about it. I even wrote
> a first version of HNN [2], a neural network library, quite early in my
> Haskell days.
>
> I found that idea to be great but did not see any actual effort around
> this. So, I'm now thinking again about that and even enlarging it to
> mathematics & AI. Thus, I would like to have an idea of the number of
> people interested in being involved in such an effort. There are several
> tools out there on hackage but they aren't that much uniform and neither
> play nicely together. I'm pretty convinced this could be improved and as
> a Mathematics student I'm highly interested in that. If enough people
> are interested, we could for example set up a mailing list and a trac to
> organize the effort and then people could just discuss and write Haskell
> modules when time permits.
>
> Any comment, idea, reaction, interest ?
>
> [1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/AI
> [2] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/HNN
>
> --
> Alp Mestanogullari
> http://alpmestan.wordpress.com/
> http://alp.developpez.com/

Yea, I'm interested. Over the last several months I've been reading a
few books on AI and have been trying to distill a Haskell library out of
them:

The library is pretty primitive so far, but this is what i have laid out:

- Neural Networks (usable)
- Blackboard Architecture (work in progress)
- FSM (usable)
- Genetic Algorithms (usable)
- Goal Oriented Behaviors (work in progress)
- Goal Oriented Planning (work in progress)
- Markov Chains (work in progress)
- Steering (usable)
- Fuzzy Logic (usable)
- Decision Tree (work in progress)

At the moment I'm working on some constrained delaunay triangulation
algorithms to use for spatial reasoning / path planning.