[Haskell-cafe] Re: nun.haskell.org http services down?

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu May 6 05:15:11 EDT 2010

>>> For me, it seems to be down everyday around 5-6pm (0700-0800 UTC)
>>> which
>>> is prime hacking time for me.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what's going on with the machine at that time?
>>
>> Well, it's hosted in the USA which is somewhere around UTC-8; as such
>> your prime hacking time is prime sleeping time for those poor old
>> servers!  Let the poor dears rest! ;-)
> Unfortunately, I come from China. :-(
> code.haskell.org is always down in my time.

We think that the apache web server is using up the machine resources
through some kind of memory leak.  Our temporary solution until
recently has been to automatically kill and restart apache once a
day.  We have now moved to restarting it every 6 hours, hoping that
this will increase its availability.  Please keep us informed whether
this is an improvement, or whether you still see long down periods.

Regards,
     Malcolm