[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell and scripting

Limestraël limestrael at gmail.com
Thu May 6 10:32:50 EDT 2010

^^
That's an interesting debate: How do you imagine the future programming
languages?
But not today's topic.
It's strange that, since Lisp is still used now, especially for teaching
purposes, and since everybody complains about parenthesises, nobody
developed a Lisp-like just based on indentation...
To my mind, I think that as long as you lay out well your code, Lisp is
quite readable. I don't see why the parenthesises would make it harder to
learn.

Daniel, prior to learn Haskell, did you know other functional languages?
Cause I didn't, and let me tell you that the functional way of coding wasn't
obvious while beginning (now I can't do without), especially the whole monad
thing.
Problem: Haskell without monads (or structures even more unusual, like
Arrows) is no longer Haskell (can be subject to debate, too), so you have to
get the point if you want to use properly the language. Or else you stuck to
quicksort-like algorithms which show the beauty of the language, but not its
power.