[Haskell-cafe] darcs to mercurial migration

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Fri May 7 11:42:31 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Nicolas Pouillard <
nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 May 2010 01:08:08 +0200, Günther Schmidt <gue.schmidt at web.de>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm switching from darcs to mercurial with some of my projects.
> >
> > I'd like to retain as much of the history as possible, what tools are
> > there available for this?
>
> I recommend you darcs-fast-export and then use the/a mercurial fast-import.
>
> http://vmiklos.hu/project/darcs-fast-export/

Does this tool use libdarcs to read the darcs repository data and metadata?
I see the claim that it is correct on the page you linked to:

> Correct
>
> darcs-fast-export produces correct results in any extreme cases. It has
> been tested with a collection of large darcs repos (called big-zoo<http://code.haskell.org/darcs/big-zoo/>).
> And several testcases under the t/ directory.

The correctness argument is solely based on testing of the conversion on
repositories?  If so, how can it remain correct when darcs changes the
format or semantics of its data?

Tailor on the other hand, invokes the various vcs directly and transfers the
diffs between the repositories.  This seems inherently safer to me.

Jason