[Haskell-cafe] Re: nun.haskell.org http services down?

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sun May 9 07:35:40 EDT 2010

Jason Dagit wrote:
> The last time I noticed it was down I made the following observations...
> I hope you find this info useful.

That is indeed very useful.

I had noticed a few times that the apache processes had not
exhausted memory when the problem occurred - though usually
they do exhaust memory. Your detective work is strong
evidence that the memory problem is probably just another
side effect of the real problem.

Right now, we are in the process of moving c.h.o to a server
with a more recent OS and more hardware capacity. That
will take a little while, so in the meantime we are trying to
use the available time most effectively by focusing mostly
on server upgrade. We are hoping to keep the old server
limping along in the meantime with band-aids like periodic
restarts of apache.

However, your work shows that this problem may not just
go away by itself with the upgrade.

Thanks for your help in further tracking down this problem.
Let us know (possibly off list) if you have any more
ideas.

Regards,
Yitz