[Haskell-cafe] Re: How efficient is read?

Paul R paul.r.ml at gmail.com
Mon May 10 04:32:33 EDT 2010

Hello Stephen,

Stephen> The 10 year old documentation is very good though - for my
Stephen> taste, Parsec 2.0 is the best documented Haskell lib I've seen.

Indeed the doc for 2.0 is really comprehensive, but didn't the library
evolve a lot between release 2.0 and 3.1 ?

Stephen> If you want to parse a stream, you don't want Parsec as
Stephen> produces as it isn't an online parser - online meaning
Stephen> 'streaming' i.e. it can produce some results during the 'work'
Stephen> rather than a single result at the end. From the descriptions
Stephen> on Hackage, Parsimony and uu-parsinglib sound like better
Stephen> candidates; similarly one of the Polyparse modules provides an
Stephen> online parser.

Thank you for this well detailed explanation. It was just me misusing
the word "stream", I was actually meaning a simple bounded string.

As a first shot I might try to add a new Reader to pandoc, which makes
use of Parsec 3, maybe a Textile one, which is not in yet.

regards,

--
  Paul