[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ideas of a polymorphic Tree in Haskell

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu May 13 18:11:25 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Edgar Z. Alvarenga <edgar at ymonad.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 13/May/2010 at 18:57 +0100, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>
> > Hmm. What GDAT/existential do you use (for lazy people who do not want
> > to read paper)?
>
> The GADT that I refered was from my faileds attempts.
>
> > How is it programmed in Lisp?
>
> The paper don't give much details, but by what I undertood, if a random
> generated program don't compile it's discarted.

The impression I had from your first email is that your GADT approach worked
but you didn't want to use it here.  Have you seen the research on
higher-order abstract syntax (HOAS)?  What you're doing looks fairly similar
to my naive eyes.  I didn't speak up because I thought you had already been
down that road.

I was just trying to find a paper on the subject (I think there was an ICFP
paper that explained them in GADTs), and I found this:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2007-January/019012.html

I think this is the paper I had in mind:
http://adam.chlipala.net/papers/PhoasICFP08/

I hope you find those resources helpful!
Jason