[Haskell-cafe] Good US Grad schools for functional languages?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon May 17 19:59:57 EDT 2010

On 5/13/10, Job Vranish <job.vranish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody know of a good grad school in the US for functional languages?
> (good = has Ph.D. program that covers functional languages, type systems,
> correctness proofs, etc...)

At Portland State, faculty include Andrew Tolmach, Jim Hook, Mark
Jones, Tim Sheard, and Sergio Antoy, all names that should be familiar
to anyone who knows the functional programming literature. We have
faculty members who have served as program chairs and general chairs
for ICFP; who have given invited talks at ICFP; who have co-organized
the ICFP programming contest in two different years; who have served
on the Haskell committee; and who are slated to or have lectured at
the Oregon Programming Languages Summer School and the Advanced
Functional Programming workshop.

The first three names on that list of faculty members are members of
the HASP group (High Assurance Systems Programming), which is an
active research group focused on developing a call-by-value Haskell
variant for systems programming. More info at
http://hasp.cs.pdx.edu/

We currently have seven Ph.D students (including myself) and room
(including funding) for more. Prospective students should use the
contact info given on the above-linked web page (or contact me if you
would prefer to talk to a current grad student).

Tim Sheard also has funding for Ph.D students to work on the
development of a new dependently typed language (this is a joint
project with Stephanie Weirich at Penn and Aaron Stump at Iowa).

For a bit of history, PSU absorbed many of the computer science
faculty members who left the Oregon Graduate Institute in 2003-2004
when OGI shut down most of its computer science department (this group
includes Jones, Sheard, and Hook). As a third-year grad student, I can
attest that it's a top-quality and collegial department, full of
people who have a passion for functional programming. Portland as a
whole has an enthusiastic FP community outside academe -- for example,
with the pdxfunc study group ( http://groups.google.com/group/pdxfunc
) and public talks at Galois ( http://www.galois.com/blog/ ).

tl;dr: Portland State wants you! See http://hasp.cs.pdx.edu/ and/or
contact me (or the people listed on that page) for more details.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"It's never too early to start drilling holes in your car."  -- Tom Magliozzi