[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] First Public Release of the Snap Framework

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Sat May 22 01:25:22 EDT 2010

Hello all,

To coincide with Hac Phi 2010
(http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hac_%CF%86), the Snap team is happy
to announce the first public release of the Snap Framework, a simple and
fast Haskell web programming server and library for unix systems. For
installation instructions, documentation, and more information, see our
website at http://snapframework.com/.

Snap is well-documented and has a test suite with a high level of code
coverage, but it is early-stage software with still-evolving interfaces. Snap
is therefore most likely to be of interest to early adopters and potential
contributors.

Snap is BSD-licensed and currently only runs on Unix platforms; it has been
developed and tested on Linux and Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

Snap Features:

 * A simple and clean monad for web programming, similar to happstack's but
   simpler.

 * A *fast* HTTP server library with an optional high-concurrency backend
   (using libev).

 * An XML-based templating system for generating xhtml that allows you to bind
   Haskell functionality to XML tags in your templates.

 * Some useful utilities for web handlers, including gzip compression and
   fileServe.

 * Iteratee-based I/O, allowing composable streaming in O(1) space without any
   of the unpredictable consequences of lazy I/O.

If you have questions or comments, please contact us on our mailing list
(http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/snap) or in the
#snapframework channel on the freenode IRC network.

Cheers,
Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>