[Haskell-cafe] [reactive] A pong and integrate

Jake McArthur jake.mcarthur at gmail.com
Sun May 23 18:30:42 EDT 2010

On 05/23/2010 02:17 PM, Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> IMO: For AAA game programming? Definitely not.

Why not? I suppose it may depend on your definition of "AAA," since
there doesn't seem to be any consensus on it. I have seen it mean
various combinations of the following, but rarely, if ever, all of them:

   * Big development budget
   * Big marketing budget
   * High quality
   * Large number of sales and/or high revenue
   * High hardware requirements
   * Released by one of a small group of accepted "AAA" publishers

While I think it's very unlikely that the last one will happen any time
soon, I don't see any reason that Haskell and/or FRP (or as I now prefer
to call my research in the area, Denotative Continuous-Time Programming,
or DCTP) inherently can't be a major part of the development of a game
that fits any of the definitions in the list.

I suppose DCTP is not itself *ready* for somebody to risk a business
investment on it, although it may be in the future, but Haskell as a
whole would not be all that risky, in my opinion.

- Jake