[Haskell-cafe] [reactive] A pong and integrate

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sun May 23 18:55:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Jake McArthur <jake.mcarthur at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2010 02:17 PM, Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
>>
>> IMO: For AAA game programming? Definitely not.
>
> Why not? I suppose it may depend on your definition of "AAA," since there
> doesn't seem to be any consensus on it. I have seen it mean various
> combinations of the following, but rarely, if ever, all of them:
>
>  * Big development budget
>  * Big marketing budget
>  * High quality
>  * Large number of sales and/or high revenue
>  * High hardware requirements
>  * Released by one of a small group of accepted "AAA" publishers
>
> While I think it's very unlikely that the last one will happen any time
> soon, I don't see any reason that Haskell and/or FRP (or as I now prefer to
> call my research in the area, Denotative Continuous-Time Programming, or
> DCTP) inherently can't be a major part of the development of a game that
> fits any of the definitions in the list.

I'm not saying it will never happen, I'm just saying that IMO Haskell
is not ready for doing AAA development (and with that I meant your
first 5 bullets) right now.

> I suppose DCTP is not itself *ready* for somebody to risk a business
> investment on it, although it may be in the future, but Haskell as a whole
> would not be all that risky, in my opinion.

Well, in my opinion - based on hands on experience - Haskell was very
risky for serious game development a couple of years ago. Not sure if
this is still the case today...