[Haskell-cafe] [reactive] A pong and integrate

Patai Gergely patai_gergely at fastmail.fm
Mon May 24 03:45:42 EDT 2010

> IMO: For AAA game programming? Definitely not. For exploring new ways
> of doing game programming and having a lot of fun and frustration?
> Sure! For making casual games? I don't know.
Why not casual games? I don't see any immediate difficulty. Do you have
any particular bad experience?

Limestraël:

> I find Elerea fine so far, but it is still experimental and more limited
> than Yampa.
Well, it's more expressive in one way and more limited in another.
Elerea lifts some limitations of Yampa by extending it with the
ArrowApply/Monad interface, and you can certainly reimplement all the
crazy switching combinators using the basic building blocks provided by
the library. However, you cannot stop a signal in Elerea, while that's
trivial in Yampa. I believe Elerea needs two more basic combinators: a
simple 'untilB'-like switcher (mainly to be able to tell when a signal
ends) and a freezing modifier that allows you to control the updates of
a signal (or more like a whole subnetwork). The semantics of the latter
is not clear to me yet (I don't intend to introduce a full-fledged clock
calculus à la Lucid Synchrone if it's possible to avoid), and I
want to work it out properly before implementing anything.

Gergely