[Haskell-cafe] Re: Math questions

Pete Chown 1 at 234.cx
Sat May 29 07:14:26 EDT 2010

Mujtaba Boori wrote:

> sure I did enjoy the discussion here Yitzchak Gale. I have already
> submitted several questions ,and you guys were very helpful. However , I
> am not sure how I will use Haskell other than my Haskell course that has
> just finished.

I would very much recommend the Real World Haskell book if you want to
write real programs with it.  I was interested in Haskell for a long
time, but it was only after I read that book that I could see how to
structure larger programs.

I've only written a few real world programs with Haskell, but I do think
there are some situations where it reduces development time compared to
other languages.  Ideally, I suppose, you would have a type-safe
language with the flexibility of Python.  Haskell isn't quite that, but
it probably gets closer than other languages, thanks to its flexible
type system and support for type inference.  It's also particularly good
for parsing text (Parsec is much nicer than yacc) and multithreading
(the STM module is particularly good).

Downsides: the libraries aren't as complete or well tested as some other
languages.  Also I suppose it has to be said that functions which update
state can become clumsy.  The state monad helps with this, but you can
still find yourself writing more code than you would need in other
languages.

Pete

PS here is a more serious answer to the original question...

test f1 f2 = and [f1 i == f2 i | i <- [1..100]]