[Haskell-cafe] Problems with Haskell Platform

Dominic Steintiz dominic at steinitz.org
Sun May 30 07:31:46 EDT 2010

I seem to be in some sort package dependency hell (which I thought the
Haskell Platform did away with).

I install ghc using my package manager (I'm on opensuse).

> dom1 at fourier:~> ghc --version
> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.1
> dom1 at fourier:~> cabal --version
> cabal-install version 0.8.2
> using version 1.8.0.4 of the Cabal library
> dom1 at fourier:~> cabal update
> Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
But

> dom1 at fourier:~> cabal upgrade cabal-install
> Resolving dependencies...
> Downloading HTTP-4000.0.9...
> Configuring HTTP-4000.0.9...
> Preprocessing library HTTP-4000.0.9...
> Building HTTP-4000.0.9...
>
> Network/StreamSocket.hs:30:7:
>     Could not find module `Network.Socket':
>       There are files missing in the `network-2.2.1.7' package,
>       try running 'ghc-pkg check'.
>       Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
> HTTP-4000.0.9 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
> cabal-install-0.8.2 depends on HTTP-4000.0.9 which failed to install.
And trying to install the Haskell Platform via
http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/2010.1.0.0/cabal/haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0.tar.gz

> dom1 at fourier:~> cabal install
> Resolving dependencies...
> cabal: dependencies conflict: ghc-6.12.1 requires directory ==1.0.1.1
> however
> directory-1.0.1.1 was excluded because ghc-6.12.1 requires directory
> ==1.0.1.0
Which is somewhat baffling.

So I uninstalled ghc via the package manager and downloaded the linux
binaries at
http://haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.12.1/ghc-6.12.1-i386-unknown-linux-n.tar.bz2

But sadly

> dom1 at fourier:~/Downloads/ghc-6.12.1> ./configure
> checking for path to top of build tree... ./configure: line 1687:
> utils/ghc-pwd/ghc-pwd: cannot execute binary file
> configure: error: cannot determine current directory
And indeed it is true

> dom1 at fourier:~/Downloads/ghc-6.12.1> utils/ghc-pwd/ghc-pwd
> bash: utils/ghc-pwd/ghc-pwd: cannot execute binary file
I'm not sure where to go from here. I think my options are a) build ghc
from source or b) find the source for ghc-pwd and compile it and then
try configure again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dominic.