[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: MonadCatchIO-foreign

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Sun May 30 20:10:38 EDT 2010

Hello Haskell,

I'd like to announce a very small library in two flavors.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that we have some capabilities for
writing functions which are polymorphic over monad but still use IO
capabilities - liftIO :: (IO a -> m a) from the packages transformers
and mtl. The packages[1,2] MonadCatchIO offer similar polymorphism for
the exception capabilities of the IO monad.

The package MonadCatchIO-foreign offers similar polymorphism for the
following functions:

 alloca, allocaBytes, allocaArray, allocaArray0 and withForeignPtr.

It's a small thing, but I don't see why it should be written twice.

Links on hackage:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/MonadCatchIO-mtl-foreign
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/MonadCatchIO-transformers-foreign

GitHub link: