[Haskell-cafe] Re: "Haskell is a scripting language inspired by Python."

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 4 15:54:34 EDT 2010

On 04/11/2010 02:16 PM, Jonathan Geddes wrote:
> Regardless of which languages got which features for which other
> languages, Haskell is surely NOT a "scripting language inspired by
> python"...

Affirmative.

It's a full-scale programming language (although I gather folks do use
it for scripting too), and while it may or may not contain features that
are also in Python, it is manifestly /not/ "inspired by" Python. Clearly
it was inspired my Miranda and the host of similar-yet-incompatible
languages like it. (The design goal was to replace these languages,
after all.)

On a somewhat tangental note: It seems increadible to me that Haskell
was invented in 1990, and Miranda way back in 1985. At the same time,
Commodore Business Machines released the iconic Commodore 64 in 1982,
and most of the civilised people of the world spent the next 10 years or
so writing computer programs in BASIC. It's a rather sobering thought to
think that way back in those long-lost days of 8-bit microprocessors,
RF-modulated graphics and unstructured programming, there were people
somewhere working on languages such as Miranda. I mean, comparing BASIC
to FP is like comparing a water pistol to a tactical thermonuclear
device. (!) Where the heck did all this stuff happen?! Can you actually
run something like Haskell with mere kilobytes of RAM?