[Haskell-cafe] Serialization of (a -> b) and IO a

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 07:23:00 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd at w3future.com> wrote:
>> The equality that people typically expect to hold for Haskell expressions is
>> that two such expressions are equal if they denote the same thing, as Max
>> said. Expressions with function type denote mathematical functions, and so if
>> we have something like:
>>
>>  serialize :: (Integer -> Integer) -> String
>>
>> it must be a mathematical function. Further, its arguments will denote
>> functions, to, and equality on mathematical functions can be given point-wise:
>>
>>  f = g iff forall x. f x = g x
>>
>> Now, here are two expressions with type (Integer -> Integer) that denote equal
>> functions:
>>
>>  \x -> x + x
>>  \x -> 2 * x
>>
>> So, for all this to work out, serialize must produce the same String for both
>> of those.
>
> What I'm wondering is if it would actually break things if serialize would not produce the same String for these functions. The reasoning above is used regularly to shoot down some really useful functionality. So what would go wrong if we chose to take the practical path, and leave aside the theoretical issues?

Yeah, my sense -- but correct my if I'm reading the original post
incorrectly -- is that the whole thing with function equality is a
distraction and not really relevant here.

It is true that (a) per Luke Palmer, if we could serialize equal
functions to equal representations then we could we could decide
whether two pure functions were equal, which (if not done in the IO
monad) would(?) break purity; and (b) per Dan Doel, if we wanted to
implement our serialization in a way so that equal functions get equal
representations, we couldn't do it, because it's an impossible
problem.

But these sort of cancel each other out, because (a) it's an
impossible problem, and (b) we don't want to do it.

A function which does "x+x" would simply be serialized as doing x+x,
and a function which does "x*2" would be serialized as doing x*2, and
when deserialized the resulting functions would continue to do those
things, and it would be completely agnostic and indifferent as to
whether or not they are in fact equal.

Obviously there are questions here with regards to the functions which
the to-be-serialized function makes use of -- should they be
serialized along with it? Required to be present when it is
deserialized? Is it OK for the function to do something different when
it is loaded compared to when it was stored if its environment is
different, or not OK?