[Haskell-cafe] Making monadic code more concise

Alexander Solla ajs at 2piix.com
Mon Nov 15 13:17:13 EST 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 9:43 AM, Ling Yang wrote:

> Specifically: There are some DSLs that can be largely expressed as
> monads,
> that inherently play nicely with expressions on non-monadic values.

This, to me, is a big hint that applicative functors could be useful.
Every monad is an applicative functor.  Given a monad instance for F,
you can do:

instance Applicative F where
          pure  = return
	 (<*>) = ap

  <$> is an alias of fmap.  <*> can be interpreted as a kind of
"lifting" product operator (Examine the types as you learn it.  The
notation will become transparent once you "get it").  So you write
expressions like:

data F a = F a 	-- We'll assume F is instantiated as a monad
data Foo = Foo Int Int Int

foo :: F Foo
foo = Foo <$> monad_action_that_returns_an_int_for_your_first_argument
           <*> monad_action_that_returns_an_int_for_your_second_argument
           <*> monad_action_that_etc

Your test

test = liftM2 (+) (coin 0.5) (coin 0.5)

translates to:

test = (+) <$> (coin 0.5)
            <*> (coin 0.5)

You can't really express a test in 5 arguments (I think there's no
liftM5...) but it's easy with <$> and <*>:

test = Five <$> one
             <*> two
             <*> three
             <*> four