[Haskell-cafe] Making monadic code more concise

Ling Yang lyang at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 15 15:02:16 EST 2010

See my reply to Alex's post for my perspective on how this relates to
applicative functors, reproduced here:

>> This, to me, is a big hint that applicative functors could be useful.
>
>Indeed, the ideas here also apply to applicative functors; it is just the lifting primitives that will be different; instead of having liftM<N>, we can use <$> and <*> to lift the functions. We could have done this for Num and Maybe (suppose Maybe is an instance of Applicative):
>
>instance (Num a) => Num (Maybe a) where
>	(+) = \x y -> (+) <$> x <*> y
>	(-) = \x y -> (-) <$> x <*> y
>	(*) = \x y -> (+) <$> x <*> y
>	abs = abs <$>
>	signum = signum <$>
>	fromInteger = pure . fromInteger
>
>The larger goal remains the same: autolifting in a principled manner.
>
>However, you actually bring up a very good point; what if it is really only the applicative functors that this method works on in general, that there is no 'use case' for considering this autolifting for monads in particular?
>I think the answer lies in the fact that monads can be 'flattened;' that is, realizations of the type m (m a) -> m a are mechanical (in the form of 'join') given that >>= is defined. This is important when we have a typeclass that also has monadic signatures. To be more concrete, consider how this function could be used in a 'monadic DSL':
>
>enter x = case x of
>	0 -> Nothing
>	_ -> Just "hi"
>
>The type of 'enter' is one case of the general from 'a -> M b'. If we were instancing a typeclass that had an 'a -> M b' function, we'd need a function of type 'M a -> M b'. This would be accomplished by
>
>enter' = join . liftM enter
>
>So the set of lifting primitives must include at least some way to get M a -> M b from 'a -> M b'---which requires that M is a monad, not just an applicative functor.
>
>Thanks for the mention of applicative functors; I should have included them in the original post.
>
>Lingfeng Yang
>lyang at cs dot stanford dot edu

I should have included a mention of Applicative in my original post.

> Part of the reason Num was so easy is that all the functions produce
> values whose type is the class parameter. Your Num instance could
> almost be completely generic for any ((Applicative f, Num a) => f a),
> except that Num demands instances of Eq and Show, neither of which can
> be blindly lifted the way the numeric operations can.

> I imagine it should be fairly obvious why you can't write a
> non-trivial generic instance (Show a) => Show (M a) that would work
> for any possible monad M--you'd need a function (show :: M a ->
> String) which is impossible for abstract types like IO, as well as
> function types like the State monad. The same applies to (==), of
> course. Trivial instances are always possible, e.g. show _ = "[not
> showable]", but then you don't get sensible behavior when a
> non-trivial instance does exist, such  as for Maybe or [].

Good point. This is where we can start defining restrictions for when
this automatic lifting can or cannot take place. I reference the
concept of 'runnable monads' here, from

"[Erwig and Ren 2004] Monadification of Functional Programs"

A 'runnable monad' is a monad with an exit function:

class (Monad m) => Runnable m where
	exit : m a -> a

And yes, for monads like IO, no one would really have a need for
'exit' outside of the cases where they need unsafePerformIO. However,
for Maybe and Prob, 'exit' is extremely useful. In fact, in the
probability monad, if you could not exit the monad, you could not get
anything done, as the real use is around sampling and computing
probabilities, which are of non-monadic types.

Provided M is a runnable monad,

class (Show a) => Show (M a) where
	show = show . exit

I'm aware of the limitations of this approach; I just want to come up
with a set of primitives that characterize the cases where
autolifting/monadic instancing is useful.