[Haskell-cafe] Catching up on Time and Directory

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Nov 16 08:26:29 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:
> Michael Snoyman wrote:
>> * Move System.Locale into the time package, bumping version number to 1.3.
>> * Bump old-locale to 1.1 and have it simply re-export System.Locale
>> from time. (Maybe we don't actually need to make that bump, 1.0.1 may
>> be sufficient.)
>> * Bump old-time to 2.0 (make it clear this is a *very* different
>> version) and have it re-export modules from time. (This is the part of
>> the proposal people should *really* beat up on.)
>
> I disagree with all of these items, and only support the last item:
>
>> * Find every single package depending on old-time and get it to use
>> time instead.
>
> Most importantly, base.
>
> These "old-" packages have been deprecated for long enough.
> Dump them.

Well, time still depends on old-locale, so if you want to dump them
you'll need to do *something* about it. I frankly don't care too much
about keeping old-locale or old-time on further life support, I just
don't want to start having conflicting implementations of
System.Locale; it gives me too many not-fond-memories of the
mtl/transformers split.

Michael

PS: I'm still a little bit in shock that we actually got past the
mtl/transformers issue. Well done to everyone involved, especially
Ross.