[Haskell-cafe] Re: borked windows environment, want to start over

list+haskell at markshroyer.com list+haskell at markshroyer.com
Fri Nov 19 03:42:29 EST 2010

On 11/18/2010 5:02 PM, Michael Litchard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Michael Litchard <michael at schmong.org> wrote:
>> I think I may have borked things good using cygwin. I want to remove
>> it and do a clean install of haskell platform w/out cygwin. What do I
>> need to do to make sure all configuration files have been removed?
>
> Hmm, I wasn't precise enough in my question. My concern is there are
> configuration files related to the windows haskell-platform install
> that I don't know about , that need to be removed prior to doing a
> clean install. Or is it just a matter of doing a standard windows
> uninstall, will that take care of things?

As for Cygwin interacting with your native Windows Haskell Platform
installation, I think the only thing you have to worry about is if you
manually added your Cygwin bin directories to the Windows %PATH% (this
won't be done by the Cygwin installer, it's something you would have had
to do yourself).  That can cause Cabal to get confused, in my
experience, depending on the precedence of your Cygwin path entries.

Cygwin is generally pretty good about not messing with the host Windows
environment...  deleting the c:\cygwin directory and removing any
(Windows) %PATH% entries is generally sufficient to fully uninstall it.
 If you created any cygwin-based Windows services (sshd, etc.) you'll
have to delete those too, and there are a couple registry keys you could
delete if you want, but aside from %PATH% there's nothing that should
really mess with Haskell Platform...

When you say you may have borked things good with cygwin, what specific
problem(s) are you referring to?

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/