[Haskell-cafe] ByteString missing rewrite RULES (zipWith' f a = pack . zipWith f a)

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:41:35 EDT 2010

>  I don't have a horse in this race; but I am curious as to why
>  you wouldn't ask for `chunkOverhead = 16' as that seems to be
>  your intent as well as what the expression works out to on any
>  machine in common use.

Sorry, after I sent my long explanation I see what you are really
asking.  I was going by the assumption that someone really did measure
and find out that keeping the length and pointer information in the
same page as the bytestring data is a significant win.  While saying
"chunkOverhead = 16" would still work it's simply false for imaginary
128bit Haskell machines (Cell SPEs?), and I don't like betting against
commercial changes in computing.

Cheers,
Thomas