[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 153 - October 06, 2010

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:02:13 EDT 2010

   Welcome to issue 153 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
   the [1]Haskell community.

   It sure has been a while since we last saw one of these. Hopefully the
   dry spell for the newsletter is now a thing of the past. I sure hope
   you enjoy it, and give plenty of feedback.

   As you can see, there are some changes to the contents of the letter.
   The first, and major change, is the use of Reddit and StackOverflow as
   aggregators to interesting links around the net. The number of links on
   each sections is rather arbitrary, I'd be interested in hearing your
   thoughts about them. This current issue is missing an "Announcements"
   section, as I did not have any to put there this time around. Hopefully
   that will be solved as soon as you start sending them in. I decided
   that rather than keep on waiting to have all the right pieces in
   perfectly working order, the priority was to get the newsletter back in
   circulation as soon as possible. Tweaking can always be done along the
   way. Some of the sections that I would like to add are: a Hackage
   report, interesting conversations from the different mailing lists,
   general community announcements, job opportunities, and the occasional
   interview with some of Haskell's celebrities.

   A major event last week were the meetings in Baltimore. Don Stewart
   collected a list of some of [2]the papers that were presented at the
   Haskell Symposium. You can find [3]videos from the Haskell
   Implementors' Workshop, posted by Simon Marlow. From the looks of
   things, seems like we sure need more than a 767 to fit all Haskellers!

   Ok. So, what was hot last week?

    Top Reddit Stories

     * ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.0.1 Release Candidate 1 -- From (haskell.org),
       scored 79 with 39 comments. Read on [4]reddit or the [5]original
       post.
     * GHC Blog: Let generalisation in GHC 7.0 -- From
       (hackage.haskell.org), scored 64 with 3 comments. Read on [6]reddit
       or the [7]original post.
     * Simon Peyton Jones : GHC 7 Status Update : Video -- From
       (vimeo.com), scored 51 with 15 comments. Read on [8]reddit or the
       [9]original post.
     * Haskell at Google: for the hard problems in the server management
       team -- From (k1024.org), scored 47 with 42 comments. Read on
       [10]reddit or the [11]original post.
     * Enumerators Tutorial Part 1: Iteratee -- From (docs.yesodweb.com),
       scored 30 with 2 comments. Read on [12]reddit or the [13]original
       post.
     * Introducing the programming language eff, monad transformer
       stacks for everyone -- From (math.andrej.com), scored 27 with 0
       comments. Read on [14]reddit or the [15]original post.
     * Help me find something interesting... -- From (self.haskell),
       scored 22 with 10 comments. Read on [16]reddit or the [17]original
       post.
     * Papers from the Haskell Symposium 2010 -- From (self.haskell),
       scored 22 with 0 comments. Read on [18]reddit or the [19]original
       post.
     * Nikola: array computations embedded in Haskell that compiles to
       GPUs via CUDA -- From (eecs.harvard.edu), scored 20 with 4
       comments. Read on [20]reddit or the [21]original post.
     * ICFP 2010 - Tribute to Robin Milner (video) -- From (vimeo.com),
       scored 17 with 2 comments. Read on [22]reddit or the [23]original
       post.

    Top StackOverflow Questions

     * haskell regex substitution (votes: 8, answers: 1) [24]read
     * Why am I getting "Non-exhaustive patterns in function"
       when I invoke my Haskell substring function? (votes: 6, answers: 1)
       [25]read
     * Why am I getting this warning from GHCi? (votes: 6, answers: 2)
       [26]read
     * In Haskell, why non-exhaustive patterns are not compile-time
       errors? (votes: 5, answers: 2) [27]read
     * Represent sequence of tetrahedral numbers in Haskell (votes: 5,
       answers: 2) [28]read

    Quotes of the Week

     * anonymous: Why is haskell-platform 138MB? Does it include monad of
       the entire world?
     * conal: everything is matter, and using matter you can implement
       cucumbers, therefore everything is a cucumber.

    About the Haskell Weekly News

   New editions are posted to [29]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [30]the Haskell Sequence and [31]Planet Haskell. [32]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [33]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
   dstcruz * at * gmail * dot * com. The code used to produce this version
   of the newsletter is not yet publicly available, as it is a complete
   hack design to get things started again.

   Until next time,

   Daniel Santa Cruz